Content of the material
- Solutions to fix DVD scratches
- Clean the DVD
- How to scratched DVD with Vaseline
- Can you use alcohol wipes to clean dvds?
- Step 2: Cleaning Time!
- Can a scratched disc damage your ps4?
- How can I fix my scratched DVD?
- Option Three: The Wax Method
- What to do when Wii wont read disc?
- How do I make a DVD unreadable?
- What can I do with old DVD and Blu Ray?
- Option Five: The Banana Method
- Related Reviews and Shortlists
- The 30 best movies on Amazon Prime Video
- The 32 best NOW TV shows to watch: great Sky series to stream
- The 50 best movies on Netflix: this is what to watch
Solutions to fix DVD scratches
As soon as you notice some small scratches on the surface of your DVDs, you should try cleaning, polishing and waxing them. You can take the following ways to fix scratched DVDs.
Clean the DVD
Step 1You can use a soft cloth and some very clean water to clean the DVD. You can also use alcohol to wipe it, but most other solvents are not recommended to fix the scratches on DVD.
Step 2Find a jewelry cloth or the cloth specialized for eyeglasses.
Step 3Hold the disk from the sides with your non-dominant hand. Then, use the jewelry cloth to gently wipe the disk from the center to the edges, across the radius. Continue wiping around the DVD disk, from inside to outside, until the entire disk has been cleaned.
Step 4Insert the scratched DVD disk into your DVD player to check if the DVD has been fixed. Try playing it, to evaluate if cleaning the DVD solved the problem. If it is not repaired, more operations are required.
How to scratched DVD with Vaseline
The first method can only fix small scratched DVD. If it can’t solve your problem, you can try fixing scratches on DVD with Vaseline.
Step 1After cleaning the scratched DVD with jewelry cloth and water, you need to rub Vaseline on the surface of DVD. You should cover the whole surface, but don’t rub it on too thick.
Step 2Use the similar clean way to remove the Vaseline on scratched DVD. You can use alcohol to break up the Vaseline.
Step 3Insert the scratched DVD disk into your DVD player to check if the DVD has been fixed.
Don’t Miss: How to rip home-made DVD to your computer
Can you use alcohol wipes to clean dvds?
Mix rubbing alcohol and water in a one-to-one ratio and use it to clean the DVD to remove fingerprints or other oily residue. Rubbing alcohol works well because it is mild and evaporates quickly without leaving a residue. … This is good for difficult cleaning situations such as cleaning soda off of a DVD.
Step 2: Cleaning Time!
Now it’s time to apply the petroleum jelly. I will demonstrate both ways to do this (the tissue and the disc cleaner). **UPDATE** Thanks to all of the comments, I have learned that you should not rub in small circular motions as show in picture #1, but instead follow inner perimeter of the disk.
Can a scratched disc damage your ps4?
If it’s physical damage (cracks or chips or whatnot), then definitely. They can damage the drive mechanism or the lens or other parts that are required to read discs. This also includes things like residues and contaminants that may be attached to the disc.
How can I fix my scratched DVD?How to Fix a Scratched DVD
- Clean the disc with a mild soap and warm water. This willremove any oils and finger marks.
- Dry the disc with a lint-free cloth.
- Squeeze toothpaste on the disc.
- Rub the toothpaste on the disc in a straight motion (not in acircular motion) from the center to the outer edges.
- Wash off the toothpaste and dry the disc.
Option Three: The Wax Method
What you need:
- A waxing product: Vaseline (petroleum jelly), lip balm, liquid car wax, or furniture wax
- A dry microfiber cloth
This method only provides a temporary solution.
Wax scratches with a thin coat of the waxing product you selected (use a radial motion). If there are only a few scratches, you don't have to coat the entire CD. Instead, rub the wax into the areas where the scratches are located.
Set the CD asidefor a few minutes so that the wax settles in the scratches.
Wipe the CDin a radial motion with a dry microfiber cloth to remove the excess wax. Also, note the instructions for using the wax you chose, as some need to dry before wiping while others should be wiped off while wet.
Test the CD. If it works, make a copy of its contents onto another disc or your PC hard drive for storage or to transfer to another disc, a flash drive, or a cloud service.
Once copied, store the disc or discard it. Discarding may be best as the effect of the wax method is temporary.
What to do when Wii wont read disc?
What to do
- Eject the problematic disc if it is still in the system.
- Power the system off and ensure it is placed correctly.
- After 30 seconds has passed, power the Wii back on.
- Insert the disc. Be sure to verify you are inserting it correctly.
How do I make a DVD unreadable?
An easy way to make discs unreadable is to just cut them in half with scissors. The polycarbonate is pretty soft and quite easy to cut. If you don’t want to bother actually cutting the discs in half (the center part can be pretty tough) then just cut slits from the outer edge towards the center.
What can I do with old DVD and Blu Ray?
Best Sites to get Cash for Your Used DVDs
- Decluttr. Decluttr is our top recommendation to rid yourself of old DVDs (and video games).
- Eagle Saver. Eagle Saver is one of several online marketplaces that will purchase used DVDs and Blu-Rays.
- Buyback Express.
- Textbook Rush.
- Sell DVDs Online.
Option Five: The Banana Method
This is the weirdest method that may work temporarily for minor smudges or scratches. This probably won't work for deeper or extensive scratches. Consider the previously discussed options before trying this one.
What you need:
- A peeled fresh banana (don't throw out the peel)
- A dry cotton or microfiber cloth
- Warm water or glass cleaner
Cut the banana so that one end can be wiped onto the CD surface in a radial motion.
Use the inside of the banana peel to wipe off the CD surface using a radial motion.
Clean the CD further with a dry cotton or microfiber cloth. If residue or particles are still present, use a wet cloth or glass cleaner (lightly) to finish up.
Test the CD.
Related Reviews and Shortlists
Films The 30 best movies on Amazon Prime Video Great movies you can stream on Amazon Prime Video now.
TV The 32 best NOW TV shows to watch: great Sky series to stream Updated: The best NOW TV shows and Sky series to watch – updated weekly.
Entertainment The 50 best movies on Netflix: this is what to watch The best Netflix movies right now – fantastic movies to stream.