Content of the material
Already have an account? Log In
Connect with: Facebook Google
Cat 5 and 6 cables
If their names don’t ring a bell, remember these two are the Ethernet cables you plug into your router and computer. If you ask us whether these two should be kep, our answer is a definite “YES”. As it turns out, even the best home printers need Ethernet cables like these.
Gift the Old Computer Cables
Not everyone upgrades their computers right away. Before you discard your large collection of old computer cables, see to it that you ask your family members and friends if they have any use for them.
Some computer cables can still be used with some other devices. Check the functionality of these cables first before you donate them.
Business laptops, older televisions, and several computer monitors still use the standard DisplayPort. Although not as common as HDMI cables, they’re still used in typical A/V systems so it may be too soon to toss them. Not only does this cable support multiple video streams, the newer ones also support 8K monitors. It’s interesting to note, though, that many of the latest notebooks have made the switch to Mini DisplayPort cables.
How to Get Rid of Old Cables
In addition to recycling old electrical wires, there are multiple other ways to get rid of old cables:
- Donate to a school of STEM program: electronic donations help young learners understand how technology works. In many instances, old cables will be pulled apart and repurposed as a learning exercise, meaning even broken materials are useful.
- Swap with someone: even if an old cable is no longer useful to you, it may be helpful to a family member or friend whose similar cable got lost or broken. See if anyone in your network could benefit from your unused equipment.
- Return to an electronics store: many technology-driven retails outlets such as Best Buy have in-house electronics recycling programs where you can drop off your unwanted materials. From there, those experts will make sure your old cable is disposed of properly.
- Recycling cables, cords, and wires can be a source of raw materials for new products. Doing so cuts down on the amount of e-waste that ends up in landfills.
Thanks! Helpful Not Helpful
- Rummage through the old video game systems, speakers, kitchen appliances, and other electronics you have in storage to gather up materials for donation.
Thanks! Helpful Not Helpful
Thanks for submitting a tip for review!
No matter which of these ideas on what to do with old computer cables you decide to follow, the main point is to avoid throwing them away. Take note that cables can be as dangerous as other forms of electronic waste if mishandled.
Related: Best Computer Accessories