Content of the material
- How to disable auto-updateapps in Google Play
- How do I cancel software update?
- How to Update Android OS Manually?
- How do I stop automatic updates on my Samsung Galaxy s9?
- Disabling Auto updates on Android
- How to Manually Update Cell Phone Apps and Software
- How to Manually Update your phone’s OS
- How to Manually Update Apps from the Google Play Store
- How Do I Stop My Samsung From Automatically Updating?
- How to Turn Off Auto Updates on Android TV?
- Disable Automatic OS Update in Android
- Turn on ‘Developer options’
- System updates in Android
- Latest articles
- Why Should I Keep My Phone up to Date?
How to disable auto-updateapps in Google Play
1. Open the Google Play Store app and tap on the 3-bar menu icon on the top left. Then scroll down and choose Settings.
2. In the Play Store settings, tap Auto-update apps.
3. You’ll see three options (which can be changed at any time): Do not auto-update apps, Auto-update apps over any network (using your data) and Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.
4. Choose the bottom one. Note that this means you will always need to manually update all apps in the future. If you still want apps to update automatically, just not on your data connection, select Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.
How do I cancel software update?
Option 2: Delete the iOS Update & Avoid Wi-Fi
- Open the Settings app and go to “General”
- Choose “Storage & iCloud Usage”
- Go to “Manage Storage”
- Locate the iOS software update that is nagging you and tap on it.
- Tap on “Delete Update” and confirm that you want to delete the update*
How to Update Android OS Manually?
The latest updates carry bug fixes and security updates which are essential for the safety of your phone. If you decide to disable the “Automatic system updates”, it is advised to manually update the system regularly. The following is the procedure.
- Open “Settings” and tap on “System” in the menu.
- Select “System update” in the following menu.
- The next screen will show the status of your system. It will show the current version of your Android. If it is already updated, it will display “Your system is up to date”. There is a blue button “Check for update” to check if any new update is available for your system. If an update is available, it will display, and you can update the system.
How do I stop automatic updates on my Samsung Galaxy s9?
How to Disable Galaxy S9 Automatic App Updates
- From the Home screen, tap Apps.
- Tap Play Store.
- Tap the Menu key.
- Choose Settings.
- Now, tap on Auto-update apps.
- To enable automatic application updates, tap Auto-update apps at any time or Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.
Disabling Auto updates on Android
You can disable the auto-update option in android using the following steps. The steps described below are related to the latest android version, Android One. But for other Android versions, the steps are very similar.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Go to Software update.
3. Turn off “Auto download over Wifi”.
In this menu, you can check for the latest updates. After checking for the latest updates you can download and keep the update and install it at a later time. Make sure you check for updates at least once for six months and install them if available.
How to Manually Update Cell Phone Apps and Software
Now that you’ve turned off auto updates, you’ll want to make sure that you schedule a time to update your apps and software.
How to Manually Update your phone’s OS
- Swipe down from the top edge of your screen to reveal the quick settings menu.
- Tap the cog (also called ‘gear’) icon, which is usually in the upper right corner.
- Tap “Software Update” from the list of options.
- Tap “Manually update software”.
Your phone will now update to the latest version of the OS.
Tip: Restart your phone to ensure all updates are activated.
How to Manually Update Apps from the Google Play Store
- Open the Play Store app
- Tap the Menu icon
- Select “My apps and games”
- Apps with an update available are labeled “Update.”
- Tap “Update All” to update all apps.
- For individual apps, find the specific app you want to update and tap Update.
How Do I Stop My Samsung From Automatically Updating?
To disable your Samsung smartphone from automatically updating, you can follow the same steps as above to disable or enable automatic updates.
How to Turn Off Auto Updates on Android TV?
If you have a Sony, Sharp, Phillips, or any other brand of smart TVs that run on Android OS, you also have the option to turn off automatic app updates. Here’s how:
- From your TV’s home screen, select the “Applications” option and then launch the Play Store app.
- Select “Settings” followed by “Auto-update apps.”
- Disable the settings with your remote.
Disable Automatic OS Update in Android
The following process is for Google Pixel 3a running Android 12. It is anticipated that the procedure should be similar for other phones running Android 12. It, however, depends on the manufacturer of the phone.
Turn on ‘Developer options’
The feature to enable or disable automatic system updates is in the “Developer options” in Android settings. By default, Google disables “Developer options” in Android, and you need to manually enable this feature. If it is already enabled on your phone, you can skip this step and move on to next section.
Warning: Enabling the “Developer options” gives you access to some advanced options. If you misuse these options, it may damage the operations of your phone and can cause your phone to behave weirdly. Though this is an easy process, do it at your own risk.
Follow the given steps to enable the “Developer options” on your Android phone.
- Open “Settings”, scroll down to find “About phone” label and tap on it.
- On the next screen, scroll down to the bottom and you will find a label named “Build number”.
- Tap “Build number” seven times and you will see a pop-up message while tapping.
- The system will ask you to enter a PIN, pattern, or password, whatever you have set on your phone.
- Again, open “Settings” and then tap “System” in the menu list.
- Scroll down, and you will see “Developer options” in the list.
- You now have access to “Developer options”.
System updates in Android
When android system updates are considered, three to four updates are released for android each year. Most of these updates are “Security updates” which means android developers fix exploits that could become a security threat to your device. If you are doing a system update it may take at least 20 minutes to complete and while the update goes on you cannot use the phone. Before a system update, you should make sure that you have a stable internet connection, enough device storage, and enough battery to complete the update. If the system update is interrupted because of any reason the device may not work properly. You should always do the system updates since it affects your device performance directly.
Why Should I Keep My Phone up to Date?
While it's possible to disable automatic updates for your phone and apps, it's not generally recommended. Here's a look at the pros and cons of using auto-updates.
- Your phone is more secure. With regular updates, your phone benefits from the latest security and privacy updates without any action needed from you. It's a much safer option than having to remember to do so manually.
- You gain new features. When an app is updated, it often comes with new features and tools meaning you get a superior experience.
- Not updating helps avoid teething issues. Not updating can have advantages though. If an app hasn't been fully tested or is buggy, not updating means you can avoid early teething issues. It's unlikely to be a problem but it's something to consider.
- Updates can be large. If you're low on space, you may not want your phone to be regularly downloading and installing updates. Instead, it might be more useful to pick and choose your priorities by manually picking out updates.
- How do I turn off automatic updates on Windows 10?
To turn off automatic updates on Windows 10, you'll need to adjust the Windows Update and Security settings. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Select Advanced Options, then, in the Pause updates drop-down menu, choose a date. Automatic updates will be disabled until this date.
- How do I turn off automatic updates on an iPhone?
To turn off automatic software updates on your iPhone, go to Settings > Software Update and tap Automatic Updates, then toggle off the switch next to Automatic Updates. To turn off automatic app updates on your iPhone, go to Settings > App Store; under Automatic Downloads, toggle off App Updates.
- How do I turn off automatic updates on a Mac?
To turn off automatic system updates on your Mac, go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences > Software Update. Uncheck the box next to Automatically keep my Mac up to date. Select Advanced to control more specific update options, such as installing app updates.