Content of the material
- If you also have a stiff neck and sore muscles with a sore throat, do not wait. See a doctor as you may have the flu.
Thanks! Helpful 6 Not Helpful 1
- Most sore throats, while annoying, are generally common. However, prolonged or repetitive sore throats can be a sign of a serious problem. If you have a painful sore throat and it does not get better in a few days, consult your doctor. They will perform a throat culture, which involves briefly swabbing the back of your throat to check for signs of strep.
Thanks! Helpful 1 Not Helpful
Nasal Congestion After Drinking Alcohol
It’s just as important to be aware of nasal congestion after drinking alcohol as it is alcohol’s potential to reduce inflammation. If you normally don’t drink alcohol, or drink on rare occasions, you may experience a stuffy nose and throat.
If you have a few sips of whiskey and start to feel congested shortly thereafter, stop consuming alcohol right away. This can be a sign of alcohol intolerance, which means your body doesn’t have the enzymes necessary to digest alcohol toxins.
How Does Whiskey Help a Cold?
Whiskey is called the “water of life” with good reason. When you’ve come down with a cold, a glass of whiskey on the rocks or a warm “Hot Toddy” may be just what the doctor ordered.
Glass of Whiskey Being Poured
It turns out there’s a lot of science behind the wives’ tale that whiskey can treat a cold.
While it doesn’t help with the underlying infection, it can do wonders to relieve common cold symptoms like congestion, runny nose, sore throat, headaches, body aches, and even a cough.
Even during Prohibition in the U.S., whiskey was still allowed into the country because it was considered medicine and prescribed by doctors.
Although let’s be honest, I’m sure most people getting prescriptions really just had a “sore throat” ?
Let’s jump into exactly how whiskey can help you when you’re feeling under the weather.
How to Make a Hot Toddy (Recipe)
This recipe uses whiskey, lemon, and honey and hot water or herbal tea to create the traditional Hot Toddy.
– 3/4 cup water or herbal tea
— 1-1/2 ounces whiskey
— 2-3 teaspoons honey
— 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
— Dash of cinnamon or cloves (optional)
- Bring the water to a simmer in a saucepan and pour into a mug. If using tea, steep a bag in the hot water for three minutes.
- Add the whiskey, then 2-3 teaspoons of lemon and honey to taste. Stir until the honey has mixed with the water.
- Garnish with cinnamon (if using).
Lemon adds some zing while honey makes the cocktail sweet. You can add a dash of cinnamon or cloves, a cinnamon stick, or a lemon round.
To get the best effect from a hot toddy, sip it slowly and breathe in the warmth to give the whiskey, honey, and lemon time to soothe your throat and nasal passages. Don’t try to down it all in one go.
As the drink cools down, you can try and gargle it before swallowing. This can help clear up any phlegm you may have in the back of your throat.
Reader Success Stories
Reddie Hener May 11, 2016
“This article is very helpful. My throat feels a lot better. In my opinion the best thing to do when you have a sore throat is to drink lots of warm fluids and have lozenges or cough drops.” …” more